Today my daughter and I are making a boiled fruit cake for Christmas.
1kg mixed dried fruit
250g butter, chopped coarsely
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup sherry or 50ml bottle of Queen Brandy Essence combined with 200ml water
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
4 eggs, beaten lightly
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1/2 cup pecans
3/4 cup macadamias
1. Line deep 22cm- round cake pan with 3 thicknesses of baking paper, extending paper 5cm above side.
2. Combine fruit, butter, sugar, 3/4 sherry or brandy essence mixture and water in a large saucepan; stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Bring to the boil.
3. Remove from heat; transfer to a large bowl; cool
4. Preheat oven to 150 C (130 C fan-forced)
5. Stir in orange rind.
6. Stir in beaten eggs
7. Then add sifted dry ingredients.
8. Spread the mixture into the pan.
9. Decorate the top with nuts.
10. Bake for 3 hours. Brush hot cake with remaining sherry; cover with foil; cool in pan overnight.
from Something Gorgeous